Call Now: (833) 803-4222
Se Habla Espanol

The Importance of Keeping Your Address Current with the IRS

December 18, 2015  |   Tax Advice,Tax Tips   |   Tags: , , , , ,  

The IRS sends letters and notices to taxpayers throughout the year. If you moved, it is important to inform the IRS of the change to receive communications and/or your tax refund. Usually, the IRS sends notices to:

• Inform of changes they made on your tax return
• Inform of back taxes owed
• Verify identity
• Request for further information
• Inform of delays in processing the return

IRS-Change-AddressIf you miss communication with the IRS, it may complicate matters, especially if you are required to take action. In order to inform the IRS of an address change, you may use any of these five methods:

1. Include It in Your Tax Return

If you changed your address before filing your return, you may notify the IRS of the change by including your new address on your return. The IRS will update your address in their records when processing your return.

2. Notify the Post Office

If you changed your address after filing your return, you may notify the post office where your previous address was registered.

3. Use a Form

You may use Form 8822, Change of Address and send it to the IRS. Businesses may use Form 8822-B, Change of Address or Responsible Party – Business. Any organization having an Employer Identification Number (EIN) is required to file Form 8822-B.

4. Write to the IRS

You may write to the IRS to inform them of your address change. In the letter, include the following information:

• Your full name
• Your old and new address, and
• Your Social Security Number (SSN), individual tax identification number, or employer identification number.

If you file jointly, both you and your spouse’s information must be included. Do not forget to sign the letter. For jointly filed returns, both filers need to sign. You may mail the letter to the address where you last filed your tax return.

5. Tell the IRS by Phone or Visit

You may inform the IRS of an address change by visiting them personally or informing them over the phone. When calling, you will need the personal and tax information shared above. The IRS requires this information to verify your identity.

If your tax refund was sent to a wrong address and was returned to the IRS, you may use the IRS ‘Where’s My Refund?’ to change your address online. In order to do that, you will need your SSN, filing status, and the exact amount of your refund.