Call Now: 833-803-4222
Se Habla Espanol

Unfiled Tax Returns? Get Back on Track.

When you neglect to file a tax return, the IRS can file for you using what’s known as a Substitute for Return (SFR). An SFR typically does not include the proper tax deductions or credits you may be eligible to receive, which could result in unexpected tax debt. The IRS views unfiled tax returns as a serious offense. Repeated non-filing may be deemed as tax evasion and can lead to criminal prosecution.

At Tax Assistance Group, we’ll help you get back on track with the IRS. Our licensed tax professionals will ensure you’re receiving every deduction and credit available to you. If you’re facing an unexpected tax bill, we can help you find an affordable solution for that, too!

How to File Unfiled Tax Returns

Not filing a tax return can be costly. The IRS can impose a wide range of civil and criminal sanctions. If you owe money and did not file on time, you could be facing a failure-to-file penalty, as well as a failure-to-pay penalty, and interest charges on the outstanding tax debt and penalties. In some cases, penalties and fees may be removed or reduced, if there is a good reason why you were unable to file. Regardless of the reason for your unfiled tax returns, the important thing is to get your forms submitted as soon as possible.

If you plan to file on your own, keep in mind that you’ll need to find the proper forms for the specific tax year and attach all required information (W-2s, 1099s, etc.). You should also be familiar with the tax laws and changes associated with that tax year to ensure you are taking advantage of any deduction and credits you are due. In most cases, old tax returns cannot be submitted online. You will need to mail the forms, all supporting documentation, and any balance due to the IRS.

Dealing with past-due tax returns can be complicated. We strongly recommend working with a tax professional to ensure your unfiled tax returns are handled correctly.

Unfiled Tax Returns Statute of Limitations

To be in good standing with the IRS, you must file six years of back tax returns. If you are due a refund, however, you only have three years from the original filing deadline to submit your unfiled tax returns. After three years, you forfeit your refund and the ability to have it applied to any outstanding tax balance.

Technically, there is no statute of limitations for unfiled tax returns when you owe money. This is because the IRS has 10 years to collect on taxes you owe, but the clock doesn’t start ticking until you submit your return or the IRS files an SFR.

Don’t let your unfiled tax returns follow you around like a black cloud. Contact Tax Assistance Group and request a free consultation today! 833-803-4222